Are you that person who likes eating something sweet but not too sweet. without spending too much time in the kitchen? With a cooking time of less than 20 minutes, this is the perfect dessert for you. Presenting my recipe of Khoya/Mawa barfi!
Mawa or Khoya has a taste and consistency similar to ricotta cheese.
It almost tastes like kalakand. The trick here would be to try and resist after having one.
- 450 ml milk (2 cups)
- 450 gm Khoya/Mawa (2 cups)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar (you can use even less)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds or pistachios for garnish.
- ghee (clarified butter) for greasing
- Bring the milk to a boil in a heavy bottom pan at medium high heat.
- Slowly add few drops of lemon juice at a time and keep stirring. Don’t add too much at once or the milk will separate.
- Once you see the milk has some granules and it has thickened, it’s time to add the sugar and khoya. This took us about 6-7 mins.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and Keep stirring so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir till it comes to a semi thick but flowy consistency.
- Add the cardamom and mix well. This is optional.
- Transfer to a container greased with ghee. Sprinkle the almonds or pistachio.
- Cover and let it set at room temperature.
- Turn over into a plate and cut it into pieces with a sharp knife and enjoy.
You can leave it in an air tight container at room temperature for 2 days and then refrigerate up to a week. I’m sure you would’ve devoured it by then.
Hope you make this recipe and tag us on @grillfrillnchill on Instagram.